Saturday 19 March 2016

Tangzhong Sweet Potato Bread - Breadmaker

I've always been fascinated by purple sweet potatoes. How it makes your food all pretty and pink and purple. So girly and pretty! The last time I baked with it was 5 years ago! How time flies! The purple sweet potato bread then turned out so wonderful, I had to do it again. But this time round I wanted to try a different method, so this is my tangzhong method sweet potato bread loaf!


I'm using the bread maker machine to do the 1st stage of kneading and proofing for me. But because my little boy likes cheese sticks bread from Bread Talk, I'm taking some dough out to make some cheese sticks.


The result was good, the bread was moist, fluffy and tasty. There wasn't any distinctive sweet potato flavour, but the bread does have this slight alcohol smell. Was it the sweet potato or was there too much yeast? I'm not sure. But more importantly, the kids loved it. :)

120 gm tangzhong
100 gm cooked sweet potato
50 gm whisked egg
150 ml milk (lukewarm)
40 gm honey
½ tsp salt
300 gm bread flour
50g wholewheat flour
2 tsp instant dried yeast
25 gm butter, melted
  1. Make the Tangzhong with 120ml water and 24g flour (click here for how to make tangzhong) 
  2. Using a fork, stab the sweet potato all over and microwave it for about 4 minutes. Scrape out the flesh. You need about 100g. 
  3. Add all ingredients (except butter) into the breadmaker, the wet ingredients first, then followed by the dry ingredients. Select the “dough” mode, which should knead the dough and go through 1st round of proofing. When the machine kneads the ingredients into a dough, add the butter and let the machine do the rest of the work. 
  4. When done, transfer the dough onto a clean floured surface. I needed to make some cheese sticks so I will divide into 4 portions. If you are only doing the loaf, deflate and divide into 3 equal portions will do. 
  5. Roll out each portion of the dough with a rolling pin into an oval shape. Roll flat and stretch, then roll into a cylinder. With seal facing down, place in a greased sandwich loaf tin. Cover up and complete the 2nd round of proofing, (about 1hr+) until it’s doubled in size.  (the dough broke when I forced open the cover! Maybe should oil the cover?)
  6. Bake in a pre-heated 180C (356F) oven for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Let cool completely before slicing or storing in an airtight container.
For the Bread Talk Bakery style of cheese sticks, so I took out a 1/4 of the dough to make some.
  1. After STEP 4, roll the dough into small log shapes and let it proof until it is double in size. (about 1hr+)
  2. Brush whisked egg on surface gently, sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with mayonnaise. For cheese I used the leftover pizza mix cheese, consisting of cheddar, Parmesan and mozzarella.
  3. Bake in a pre-heated 180C (356F) oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...